Ionized water is known to be as curative as Lourdes water or the water of the Zamzam Well in Mecca. Alkaline ionized water helps alleviate diseases such as arthritis, diabetes, psoriasis, hypertension, and cancer, to mention a few. As for the healing powers of Lourdes and Zamzam, they have been found to be high in minerals and alkaline with a pH close to 8.
It is not our purpose to provide any scientific backing to the blessed waters of these two sources, only that they serve as perfect examples of the power of alkalinity. We intend to introduce you to the backdrop against which we have chosen our top products as the best water ionizer, a choice arrived at after much deliberation.
It should also help greatly in appreciating our efforts at presenting the best ionizers in the marketplace for some products that we have narrowed down. But mainly, our aim is to aid you in the apt choice when you do opt to purchase one. After all, water is one commodity that affects our well-being and cutting deals here is being foolhardy.
The Benefits of Ionized Water
This is a moot point. The jury is still out on this. But that is not our concern. We will present both sides of the coin to you.
The pH level ranges from 1 to 14 with 1 being very acidic and 14, very alkaline. Tap water is at around 7; a bit of both.
The main focus of an ionizer is to nullify the acidic part as we all know what distress acidity can cause.
A water ionizer is also called an alkaline ionizer as the pH level of an incoming stream is increased. This is accomplished by electrolysis wherein the water is charged negatively. The acidic proportion is nullified.
The major benefits claimed:
- Consuming artesian well water with a pH of 8.8, according to a study by the National Institute of Health, shuts off the enzyme pepsin, the chief culprit of acid reflux.
- Another study by the Shanghai School of Preventive Medicine advises consuming ionized alkaline water benefits in the reduction of hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol.
- Yet another study, this time by the Journal of the International Society Of Sports Nutrition which concluded that post a workout, consuming alkaline water helped boost blood flow by lowering blood viscosity. Oxygen delivery is amplified.
- Adherents are vociferous that alkaline water is anti-aging, colon cleansing, supports the immune system, is a powerful detoxification agent, and has cancer-resistant properties.
Now for the other part of the narrative.
Alkaline water can cause metabolic alkalosis. This is the result of excess alkalinity in the body. Alkalosis can deplete free calcium affecting bone health. Nausea, gastrointestinal complaints, vomiting, arm tremors, muscle twitching, and confusion are the fallouts.
Alkaline Water Filters Vs Water Ionizers
The ionization of water can be accomplished by two methods. The first is electric, a water ionizer that is based on the principle of electrolysis. The other is by using an ionizing filter that relies on the addition of minerals such as zeolite, magnesium, and tourmaline. Thereafter some form of magnets is deployed to lightly ionize.
Manufacturers hype it up that their product works better. This post will explain the similarities and differences between the two systems so you are on an even footing when it comes to deciding
Benefits of Electrolyzed Water Using a Water Ionizer
The basic model of an electric water ionizer is to split the acidic and alkaline parts. The upshot is an alkaline water stream rich in useful minerals (such as magnesium, calcium, magnesium) which are beneficial to the body. The acidic stream filters out the toxic elements (fluorides, chlorides).
We do not intend to make a boring, pedantic presentation, but there is a need to know what ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential) is. It is the tendency to accept electrons or a negative charge. It is an anti-oxidant level measuring unit. In electric water ionizers, this level is pretty raised.
Benefits of Alkaline pH Ionizing Filters
These ionizing filter systems are quite inexpensive because they don’t include platinum plates that are used as electrodes in electric ionizers. The annoying bit is that they can only offer up a limited quantity of water before needing a break to re-charge. The reason, alkaline pH ionizing systems employ the principle of spontaneous ionization discovered by Dr. Hayashi, where the ionization is accomplished by the use of magnesium in a field of ceramic magnets. For this, time-release magnesium balls are present in the filter. The outer layer of these balls is used up to ionize a certain quantity after which the balls need to recharge. A negative charge is only applied to the magnesium quotient in the water.
Our take is that electric water ionizers are more capable in that negatively charging the water makes it more bio-available to the body. They are capable of stronger ionization as well as giving you an uninterrupted supply of drinking water.
Water Ionizer - Buying Guide
We have included this section as these are the parameters we base our review on.
1. pH Range
As earlier referred to, the scale is from 0-14, with 7 being neutral. A good example is plain drinking water.
Coffee, wine, cheese, meats, Coke, sugar, beer, te, alcohol are some examples of acidic foods, that are less than pH7.
On neutral ground, at pH7 we can find butter, raw milk, and most tap waters. The realm of alkaline foods greater than pH7 is fruits, vegetables, and olive oil. Plan your food intake appropriately.
2. ORP Range
We are now aware of what ORP is. Oxygen reduction. Oxygen in the body does little good. It wreaks havoc on cells, proteins, DNA and what have you. That is why green tea and other anti-oxidants are perennially being touted. Oxidation is what causes rusting and an apple to go brown. This is achieved by stealing electrons or a negative charge. And who is the recipient of this theft; a free radical. So we need to annihilate these little imps. How? Pump up on anti-oxidants or, lower the ORP. The yardstick of healthy water is low ORP levels. The unit of measurement is millivolts. The more negative, the better and that could be as low as -900 mV. -450 is considered reasonable.
3. The Configuration of Electrolysis Plates
The plates are the heart of an ionizer. The more upscale models use platinum-titanium. This is where the alkalinization process occurs. Needless to say, the better the plates the swifter and efficient is the conversion going to be. The rule-of-thumb dictates that the larger the number of plates, the better. Expense too is scaled up. But the end product is very much superior, in terms of ionization strength whereby the pH range is larger as also the ORP. There are four configurations of plates:
- GRID- Top quality with efficiency at its peak and matching durability
- MESH- High quality and efficiency.
- FLAT- Good quality and durability.
- Slotted- Run of the mill stuff but mentioned here so you know.
4. Built-in Water Filter
Whoa! Before you jump on your horse and gallop off to the supermall to get yourself an ionizer, a couple of things more. This one is important.
A built-in water filter is a feature of all ionizers. In the event that your source is well water, you will need a model with a robust filter to cope easily with the water pressure. The filter would need renewal every 6-12 months which adds to your maintenance costs. This is speaking generally as it all depends on the manufacturer and model that catch your fancy.
5. Installation Process
This is usually a simple procedure but we don’t want you off guard on this one, so we think is a worthwhile mention.
You are faced with three choices; countertop, under the counter and convertible.A countertop is a breeze. You don’t even require any tools.
Under the counter is a tad more challenging. Your user manual will guide you amply well how to go about this.
A convertible installation can swing both ways. An example would be the Life Ionizers MXL-7 or the Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 9.0 models which we will elaborate upon later.
Modern water ionizer machines are shielded by an SMPS (Switched-mode Power Supply) power supply that is powerful and pretty efficient. Its chief function is to stabilize the voltage so that unwarranted fluctuations don’t damage the machine. Some machines like Kangen do not have this as they use older technology.
7. Auto-Cleaning Capacity
Some ionizers are equipped with a self-cleaning feature that kicks in after every use. Some have an automatic plate washing facility that is activated after ionization of a preset amount of water that varies from model to model.
The main advantage of consuming hydrogen infused water is the high antioxidant content which destroys free radicals, the cause of much body damage.
Bottles- Bottles are portable, can be carried on walks and outings and not relying on river or pond waters. They can be taken along on travels, used at the gym and are very handy.
Pitchers- Pitches are good for family or office use. They are installed as a countertop but can be readily shifted into the refrigerator and you have cold, refreshing, hydrogenated water. Not a bad bargain.
Machines- These are fixed installations and are dealt with in detail.
9. UV Light
The UV light in your ionizer is to destroy bacteria and viruses.
An important consideration. Mid-level and inexpensive models should offer at least a 10-year warranty. The plates being of prime materials should carry a life-term warranty. We wish to guide you that a warranty of 5-years or less is a clear indication that the manufacturer does not measure up.
Do’s and Don’ts of Maintaining a Water Ionizer
For the safety of the user as well as the machine, the undermentioned dos and don’ts will ensure that your water ionizer will give you peak performance and trouble-free service.
- The internal filters of the machine need replacement every 6-12 months. This process will consume 5 minutes of your time. New replaced filters will need to be flushed for 2-5 minutes before they are installed in the machine.
- Internal cleaning will need to be done regularly. For this, a cleaning cartridge is used or a process as defined by the manufacturer. This flushes out mold and bacteria build-up from hidden parts of the machine invisible to the eye.
- Wipe down the machine with a soft cloth or sponge every week. The exterior is maintained and your water ionizer will sport a new fresh look.
- The product manual lays down the cleaning protocols. If you have commenced cleaning with any other incompatible process, discontinue the cleaning process. These instructions may have been given to you by a friend or picked up on the web, or any other source but from the manufacturer.
- Keep adequate time in hand once you have initiated the cleaning process to complete the job, it should be followed until the end. Even if you have a self-cleaning system in place, manual cleaning must be thorough to make sure that any bacteria build-up is wiped out.
- Strictly avoid household cleaners on the ionizer. The finish will be damaged as well as eroding the control panel’s indicators.
Our team has diligently pursued all leads and sources to present you this review guide so that your choice of what you need to go in for be it a hydrogen bottle, an ionizing pitcher or a water ionizing machine will be an informed buy. We have chosen a fairly comprehensive range of all three highlighting their features and also their prices and ratings where required. We would emphasize here that it will usher in a new chapter to further your health and metabolism. Hydrogen-rich water is a boon for all and the benefits of drinking water that is ionized are clearly being enjoyed by those who have embraced this lifestyle.
1. Is Ionized water safe to drink?
Certainly, ionized water is 100 % safe to drink. Only one must start at low levels first and work your way up.
2. How does the machine’s quality get affected by the automatic self-cleaning feature?
For better results even if you have automatic self-cleaning system in your ionizer, periodically a manual cleaning is necessary to maintain the efficiency.
3. What does the ORP level or the oxidation-reduction potential indicate?
Simply put a high ORP level indicates a high level of oxygen and a low ORP level indicates a high level of hydrogen.
4. What is the function of a Water Ionizer?
A water ionizer raises the pH level of drinking water so that it is more alkaline.
5. Reverse Osmosis Vs Water Ionizer
All the minerals are removed by Reverse Osmosis and distillation rendering the water ‘dead’. Ionization concentrates healthy minerals like magnesium and calcium and creating a higher alkaline water level.
6. Water Ionizer Work on what principle?
Water ionizers work by separating the water into two streams; acidic and alkaline by means of electrolysis. The two streams are treated differently resulting in alkaline water for consumption and acidic water for household cleaning.
7. What is the right way to Install a Water Ionizer?
A plumber is redundant here. Each unit comes with a simple to fit diverter kit along with instructions and can be completed in 5 minutes.
8. How Long Does Ionized Water Stay Ionized?
The antioxidant properties will dissipate after 18-24 hours. It takes 1-2 weeks for the pH value to return to a neutral value of 7.