What You Will Get Here
- Why Should You Trust Us?
- Water Dispenser or Cooler – What Do You Need?
- What to Look for in a Water Dispenser?
- How Did We Pick These Products?
- Our Top 10 Product List
- Top Hot Water Dispenser: InSinkErator H-WaveSN-SS Involve Wave
- Top Freestanding Choice: Farberware FW29919
- Our Top Loading Choice: Avalon Top Loading Water Cooler
- Top Bottom Loading Choice: Avalon A4BLWTRCLR
- Top Cooler Dispenser: Primo Stainless Steel 1 Spout Bottom Load
- A List of 5 Other Products We Reviewed
- A List of Other Products We Tested
- Cleaning & Maintenance
- Final Words
Why Should You Trust Us?
Our Faucets Reviewed team contains a number of people specializing in different types of home improvement products. We regularly publish how-to blogs and product reviews on this web platform so people like you can make the most of their hard-earned money invested in such products for a better life.
We have no business affiliation with any of the tool manufacturers we review. Our team follows a strict testing procedure that we've developed over the years to find only the best in whatever the category. This means our reviews are unbiased and we don't have the intention of any monetary gain.
So, you can rely on this comprehensive review and you will realize how much effort we gave to prepare this when you will read the “How We Picked These Products” section below.
Water Dispenser or Cooler – What Do You Need?
Many people don't know the difference between a water dispenser and a water cooler. No worry, we’re here to clear your doubt.
So, what is a water dispenser?
This is a unit with a water reservoir which can be dispensed at any time through the tap. Examples include a kitchen or bathroom faucet or a water jug with a tap. However, a water cooler comes with a compressor that cools the water in the tank that's dispensed through a tap. The unit is often connected to a power source to energize the cooling system while a water dispenser does not require electricity for operation, but will dispense water at room temperature.
You’ll be able to get clean and fresh water from both but at different temperatures. Besides, you’ll get instant cold water from a water cooler at any given time.
So why do you need these machines?
- They allow you to access to clean and potable water at low cost. They come with water tanks that are not connected to any plumbing line making it easy to set up and use.
- They’re very portable and can be easily transported to a campsite where you’ll enjoy hot or cold water at will.
- They’re very easy to use, all you need do is press the button and boom the water is dispensed.
- They can be installed in the home or office and does not consume much space.
- They’re easy to maintain. Here, you’ll be required to refill the jar once the water is depleted.
- They come with water filters and treatment systems to improve the taste and quality of the water.
- The money that would’ve been spent on buying water bottles every day will be saved. Moreover, a reduction in the use of water bottles helps to level of pollution in our environment. Thus, everyone stays protected.
- It attracts children and the elderly to stay hydrated by drinking from the dispenser.
What to Look for in a Water Dispenser?
We will now talk about what you have to consider when you're out looking for the perfect match.
- Bottom-load: This is one of the most widely used water dispensers because of its unique design. This is good for office use because the bottle is often concealed. The water bottle is positioned at the bottom of the unit which eliminates the need to raise it and then position upside down.
- Top-load:This type is great for both the elderly and the physically challenged. It is also very easy to manage if there is a spillage.
- Tabletop: This is a portable unit which can be placed at any location in the home. It takes less space making it ideal to positioned on tabletops and kitchen cabinets. They feature the smaller water tanks.
- Wall mounted:This type is mounted on the wall with a direct connection to the water pipes in the wall. It has a storage tank where the water is filtered and refrigerated simultaneously. The good thing is that the unused water is reserved in the pipe.
- Direct-piping: This is also referred to as bottomless water dispenser. It is similar to the wall-mounted type in the sense it is connected directly to the water source. They’re usually electric and are equipped with high-quality filters to enhance the quality of water.
- Freestanding: They use jugs which are positioned on the top of the unit. The water jugs are bought separately and the water is made to undergo extensive treatment processes. The only drawback is that you’ll lift the jug to fix it on the top which might be a heavy task for some persons. However, it is very economical.
Aside from these, you will also find some other types like under counter, in wall, and those especially designed for outdoor use.
To avoid situations where you’ll be replacing the jug too often, you should consider buying one with a large capacity. Each household or office has its water consumption level which must match with the capacity of the dispenser. Note that if the capacity is more than what you need, it’ll take a long time before the water is completely depleted.
3. Water Flow Rate & Noise
If the water flow is high, you’ll spend less time to fill your bottle. You should consider buying a machine that operates in a quiet manner, especially at the office. The noise from the pump and compressors of the dispensers could be disturbing.
4. Self Cleaning Technology
Many models are equipped with ozone in the water tanks to mitigate the growth of bacteria and germs, which may lead to diseases. The tankless units may also have this technology in some other form.
5. Water Temperature
The hot and cold units are designed to operate at a given temperature range. Sometimes what is written by the manufacturer is different from the actual output temperature. This is why you should buy from reputable sellers only.
6. Safety Features
If you have children, you should look for safety features to keep them from getting hurt in case they ignorantly press the hot water button.
The durability of the dispenser will be largely determined by its material of construction. Moreover, the product must be well-built in accordance with the existing engineering standards and conventions. These units are usually made from food-grade plastic, stainless steel, glass, and ceramics like porcelain.
8. Purification System
If you’re using a bottom or top loading unit, you may not have to invest in a filtration system. However, if you’re connecting your dispenser directly to the water source, then you’ll need a water filter that can remove sediments, chlorine, lead, and other particles that make the water unsafe for drinking.
9. Hot vs Cool Water Dispenser
Many of today's units are designed to dispense both hot and cold water simultaneously. This means they’re equipped with both the water heater and cooling system. Nevertheless, there are models that can provide cold or hot water only.
How Did We Pick These Products?
The process of picking these top 10 choices began with exhaustive research in the world of water dispensers. Our first step was to list down the 30 most widely used water dispenser brands on the market.
We spent over 70 hours to test some of these products. We discovered that we would not be able to examine all of them effectively by ourselves within a limited time. So, we included a small group of volunteers to assist us with the test.
When testing the products, we considered the essential factors that help separate a good unit from a bad one. Maintaining a good communication with the volunteer team, we were finally able to finalize the top 10 choices you will see soon.
But that was not all. We then read through the user reviews and ratings of these products on Amazon, eBay, and other online stores. We compared their reviews that helped us understand more about each of the products and why they were the top rated products.
Finally, we consulted with various homeowners and office managers who had used them for some time. Their opinions and recommendations were very helpful in determining the pros and cons of each of the products.
Our Top 10 Product List
After analyzing each of the models, we categorized them according to types so you can easily find the product that suits your specifications and budget. Read on to discover the products featured in our list.