If you’re upgrading your kitchen or building a fresh one, an undermount kitchen sink can add a touch of class to your style. These sinks are usually made of high-quality metals, sleek, easy to clean, and will improve the overall look of your cooking environment.
Since our tastes are different, here we’ll be outlining some of the major factors that’ll help you identify the best undermount kitchen sink from a wide range of options. The Faucets Reviewed team has also shortlisted top 10 products based on a thorough testing procedure. You will find our list here and easily compare them to see which one suits your needs the most.
So, sit tight. Let’s ride along.
How Did We Pick These Products?
So, wondering how did we select our top picks? Here at Faucets Reviewed we always follow a comprehensive product testing process to make sure our audience finds our effort very reliable and useful.
At first, we spent over 20 hours on the web in search for the top rated models on sale. We were able to list down 25 such popular products that we had decided to test ourselves. Over the next few months, we rigorously tested each one of these products.
However, since we couldn’t test all the products ourselves, we took help from community-based volunteers who also examined few of the models and provided us with valuable feedback. The features that we mainly analyzed on these products included their depth, size, style, shape, material, durability, and price. This is because these were the features that could separate a good choice from a bad one. After that, we were able to list the top 10 models based on their performance, features, durability, and price-to-quality ratio.
But we didn't stop there. We also consulted with other experts as well as buyers on Amazon and other e-shops to check if their comments agree with our list. After such a thorough procedure, we are confident that this review will definitely help you find the right product as per your own preference.
Our Top 10 Best Undermount Kitchen Sink
Here comes our shortlisted choices. Go through each one of them and get familiar with their features, functions, and overall quality based on our user experience.
What to Look for in an Undermount Sink?
Buying a high-end sink is not so easy as you may think, especially when you want good value from your hard-earned money. Consider the following factors before you make an order and you won't have to worry about this anymore.
1. Size & Depth
The size and depth of your undermount sink are very important. It’s true you’ll really appreciate a kitchen sink that will allow you to wash different sizes of pots and dishes conveniently. Moreover, it must fit your kitchen cabinet perfectly.
The dimensions of your cabinet and your kitchen size will determine the sink's size and depth. Your preferred choice should be able to handle the items you’ll be cleaning comfortably and you should be able to unclog the sink easily if you notice any build-up of debris.
2. Material & Durability
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel is the most popular material due to its durability and finish. It nicely blends with other fixtures in your kitchen, whatever the theme is. These sinks are lightweight, reliable, sturdy, and easy to clean.
- Granite: This is another material important material for undermount sinks. Their mode of manufacturing is much different from copper or stainless steel. Spreading a granite blend and acrylic on a resin base will provide you with a granite sink. It is resistant to scratch and stains which implies you’ll spend little time on cleaning. Fortunately, the combination of granite blend and resin base produces a heat resistant sink that can withstand a temperature of 540°F. Also, it is resistant to bacteria attack.
- Composite: You’ll find undermount sinks that are made by a combination of acrylic and polyester resins or granite and quartz. They have the advantage of lightness compared to granite sinks, scratch resistant, and available in diverse colors.
- Porcelain: What makes porcelain an ideal choice for kitchen sinks are its durability and heat resistant features. You should consider buying one that is coated with enamel to make the surface smoother and resistant to scratch.
- Ceramic: You might be surprised that ceramic would make a good undermount kitchen sink. This is a material that follows a strict production process to enhance its durability. This sink is made of heated clay making it scratch and heat resistant. It does not react to chemicals, and color will remain intact for its many years of use. It is resistant to bacteria attack and available in diverse colors for you to choose.
- Apron: Some of the models have hard surfaces which are also called apron with the same finish to enhance its durability and resistance to heat.
- Copper: This is another important material you can consider. Its essential qualities are that it’s durable, rust-free, and resistant to scratch. It has a unique finish with time as patina is formed. It is resistant to viral growth or bacteria action. It’s the best choice for families with kids.
- Cast Iron: Interested in getting a durable, heat and scratch resistant undermount sink, cast iron sink with enamel finish is the choice to make. You’ll find them in many colors that suit your kitchen décor.
3. Style & Shape
- Single Basin: This is the most popular type of today preferred by most US households. They come in different sizes, allowing you to choose the right size for your counter. They’re cheap, easy to maintain, and ideal for smaller kitchens. The only disadvantage is that it’ll not accommodate large pots and dishes conveniently.
- Double Basin: As the name implies, double bowl kitchen sinks are double the size of single basin making it more expensive. They’re partitioned into two making it easy to wash and store dishes simultaneously. In some cases, the two bowls are separated by a wall which may hinder your movements while handling larger dishes or pots. If the faucet is mounted directly above one of these bowls, you’ll mitigate the effect of this problem.
- Round Basin: They may not be very popular but their looks are mostly impressive. To install it, you’ll need a circular counter which is seldom available on the market.
- Farmhouse sink: Many of the recent models have aprons that complement the finishes. They’re very functional with a unique appearance. They’re deeper to allow you to wash large size dishes and pots with ease. The only thing you’ll dislike about this sink is that the apron surface will scratch over the years.
4. Heat Resistance
There’s no way you’ll completely avoid placing a hot pan or pot on your undermount sink. Thus, you’ll need to buy a model that can withstand such heat.
5. Noise Control
You’ll not be comfortable with a sink that makes annoying sounds while the dishes are being washed. The level of noise is influenced by the gauge of the steel on the sink. It’s important to buy a sink with insulating foam or noise pads to keep the noise as low as possible.
6. Latest Features
You may consider buying undermount sinks with a brushed finish which tend to cover up stains and scratches. Moreover, you’ll find some with special technology to enhance its aesthetics as well as reduce their noise level.
Each manufacturer tends to add a certain touch and style to her products to enhance its uniqueness. You should consider buying from brands that are reputable for the durability and dependability of their products.
The price range may vary between $150 to as much as $1300. We would say those costing around $300 are good enough for everyday use.
Care & Maintenance
Care and maintenance is the key to the longevity and continuous functionality of fitting and appliance in our homes including an undermount sink. There’re always rules you’d follow to ensure that your sink is maintained properly.
First, ensure that the sink is wiped properly using a soft cloth dipped in soapy water after each use. This will prevent spot stains from marring the sink and helps to maintain its looks.
Second, you should pay attention to the part that is just beneath the overhang. You should dip a soft cloth in a bleach solution to clean it effectively. It’ll be very nice if you can do this at least two times a month.
If you have a sink opening that is a bit larger than normal, the truth is that some of its parts will be revealed which will be difficult to maintain. You should clean the parts that are revealed every day since they tend to harbor more dirt. Sometimes, you’re cleaning routine will be determined by the type of sink you have.
Another important point to note is to prevent your garbage disposal from being blocked by food particles. This, you’ll do by controlling the size of what you dispose of down there.
Ensure that you’re using the suitable cleaning agent for the sink. Perhaps you should stick to the manufacturer’s recommended cleaning agents only.
Having a custom sink grid will greatly reduce the scratches that may occur on its surface. It helps to keep things coming directly in contact with the bottom of the sink.
We are confident that our in-depth review will provide you with every information you’ll need to buy the best undermount kitchen sink for your sweet home.
You may not have to go for the most expensive or largest sink before you believe you’ve gotten the best. No, what you’ll do is to buy a model that suits your kitchen décor and your budget.
All of the models we’ve highlighted here have the same things in common and these are durability, efficiency, impressive looks, and affordability.
Our top choice is the Kraus KHU100-30. It is made of high-grade stainless steel which is durable and dependable. It comes in a satin finish which is resistant to stains, dirt, and scratches. Moreover, it produces little or no noise while it’s in use.
If you’re a professional cook or interested in equipping your home with a sink with special features, you may opt for the KOHLER Prolific undermount kitchen sink. This sink is unique in many ways you can never imagine. It is sturdy, durable, and highly functional. It comes with a bamboo wood that serves as an extra workspace among other accessories.
Interestingly, the kitchen is one of the places in your home where you’ll likely spend a significant amount of time. So, it is important to always shop for a sink that will match your cooking style, lifestyle, and décor.